All the manipulation that happens in this book, it sounds like human trafficking/sex exploitation. It is how pimps go about getting their prey (buying nice gifts to earn trust, etc).
If you prefer not to call 50 Shades porn, you must then classify it as sexual explicit content. It distorts how women see men and themselves and vice versa. It is written to cause arousal.
I understand that this book could be classified as a “Fantasy” and people who read it know it is not reality. However, that is not what happens to our brain upon reading content designed for arousal. That is not what happens when people look at Porn. It distorts truth.
Young girls (most likely) will think they need to enjoy this (BDSM, which I explain more here) because this is what they think a man longs for. This is not my fantasy.
Or young people may have a similar fantasy and not sure what to do about it. Questions will be raised (ie; what is allowed with my spouse? If it is agreed upon, can we act out certain things?). The intent of this post is not to go over what is allowed and what isn’t. Parents, this is your job.
However, if this were real life, people everywhere would be calling Christian Grey to serve at least a life sentence for criminal sexual conduct. But since it is not real, it is called entertainment?
At the end of the day it comes down to your heart. Why read this? Is it causing you to want something besides your spouse? Or if you are single, is it you wanting something that the Creator has said to wait?
If you are married, have you communicated your desires to your spouse and lovingly laid them down to him/her? Have you served your spouse?
The intent of this post is to warn and hopefully equip parents. If you have questions or would like me to explain further, please comment.
Listed below are some additional resources…
A Warrior’s Arsenal
- 5 Things Fifty Shades of Grey Teaches about Sex–Just click it. I don’t have any additional comments on this article.
- 5 Reasons why (I believe) 50 Shades of Grey will turn our hearts from God–If those quotes are actually from the book, any other instance it would be considered rape and abuse.
- 50 Shades of Crap: While I do not agree with the feminist movement, isn’t it ironic that some feminist are getting upset over this?
- 4 Reasons to Hate 50 Shades of Grey–Matt Walsh wrote about this months ago.
- 50 Shades of Grey, One Colour of Redemption--Great Article on Redemption.
- I’m Not Reading “50 Shades of Grey”–Great article from True Woman.
- 4 Lies About Sexuality in 50 Shades of Grey–The follow up video to the video up above.
Kindle Parental Resources
- Shepherding a Child’s Heart–Geared more towards when they are young. However, it is never too late to start!
- Age of Oppurtunity–Great book on parenting teens to deal with the heart.
- Pulling Back the Shades–It is always dangerous to recommend a book I have not read, but from the videos I have seen explain the book I could recommend. You may even be able to trade in a copy of 50 Shades of Grey for this title.